Summary
1400 people lost their job when a British train manufacturer lost the bidding for a project to a German company, Siemens. This happened according to EU bidding rules, but many are critical of this decision. It means British jobs are being handled to overseas companies. According to Transport Secretary Hammond, however, the manufacturer already had plans to cut down these jobs. In the meantime, Siemens has vowed to use this new position to create new opportunities for British workers.
Comment
I can understand why these people are so upset. While I am not fond of a too nationalistic approach, I also find it reprehensible that so many people lost their jobs when this project regards trains being made for the UK. Perhaps the government could in the future divide the job between different companies, or at least discuss how this is going to affect the British workforce, find a way to safeguard their jobs. For example, if a foreign company is to win bidding on a project, they should have to take on as many British workers as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment